Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Clash

 “This is not a time to be dismayed, this is punk rock time. This is what Joe Strummer trained you for.” Henry Rollins


the little koan, placed 

strategically for a moment’s foot fall


a crumbling brick to polish, a hand

clapping in a forest of downed trees 


that no one heard, dig your heels

in the puzzle of a rice paper barrack


you can’t stay here, just charge  

your eyes for a few thoughts


then rage on, the rage your

mother’s egg knew, the rage

of your face before your parents

were born, the rage circles 


the revolution drain

the mystery rages on


like the mosquito 

that bit Jesus, the blood

buzzing amok, everlasting, breaking 


rocks in the hot sun / I fought the law 

and the law won, rage, chew 

through the chains, think not 


that I am come to destroy the law 

or the prophets: I am not come to 

destroy, but to fulfil, at least for now


until all Buddhas are destroyed

and new koans emerge: a bullet

flying through the drywall 


screams for justice, but no one 

heard it, did it scream or collapse

like a lung


only Joe Strummer knows


your next step





_______________

6 comments:

  1. I love what you do with words and concepts – only you always leave me feeling that any comment I could make would be pathetically inadequate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful. The last three stanzas hit me particularly hard. I can't stop thinking of the current situation with the Breonna Taylor case, how bullets ripped through her life... but didn't seem to have made any sound for justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love how you used Joe Strummer. One of my all time favorites. Johnny Appleseed ranks #1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music and musicians have led the way in rebellion for a long time. I like the theme of your poem using musicians and rebellion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Chew through the chains" damn! that gave me goosebumps. So much power!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A chain gang is the most unfulfilled in its protests. One is expected to follow. Breaking stones is the easiest to force untold sufferings without any specific targets to achieve.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete