Saturday, September 5, 2020

Anniversary

your body, a distant horizon 

revealed its form upon closer inspection


gladly, I have trekked those scrapes 

surveyed the erosion and shifting surface


the tarns, creeks, and scars

so familiar they are almost my own


even in sleep, I hear your muscles foxing 

over the timber, your pattering

rhythm and creaking floorboards 


I still hold room for the hidden and untouched 

paws and hums in my imagination, such a soft 


morning opera opening above 

us, two thirsty kestrels 


circling and diving 

like curious fingers 

tracing a heaving cloud

pregnant with mist


tomorrow, we will bake in the heat

of a quarter century, two wild 


and unfinished maps

overlaid for so long

our distinct features

superimpose to create 

this fantastic moment 


under a canopy of honeyed light 

speaking in tongues, pressed

against each other, engraved


in a brittle, silver leaf, waiting 

our final engraving 

in that strange terrain



10 comments:

  1. Luv your imagery and wrap around sentences
    Happy Sunday. Stay Safe

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an evocative write. It left me wanting to re-read and consider once more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagery is certainly your superpower. The same goes for structure and word play. I love how "tomorrow, we will bake in the heat /
    of a quarter century, two wild" makes me think of baking being too wild. And, dear goodness! the mental image brewed by "honeyed light / speaking in tongues" seems to feel my mind sky with amber glances telling tales that sing right into the skull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks for mentioning the two wild/too wild reading. Definitely on my mind when I cut the line there.

      Delete
  4. Those images are vivid & the way they shift through is perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful I love every line

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful, sensual, glorious love poem! (I don't wish I'd written this; I wish someone had written that for me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And may you and your love have many more anniversaries yet!

      Delete
  7. Great use of metaphor in this poem about getting old together. I especially love the lines:
    ‘even in sleep, I hear your muscles foxing
    over the timber, your pattering
    rhythm and creaking floorboards’
    and
    ‘in a brittle, silver leaf, waiting
    our final engraving
    in that strange terrain’.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Metaphors to please the reader indeed, very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete