Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Archaeology of Rest


a shard of pottery

sits in stillness

weathered, smooth


carbon burns speak

of its utility

once


after the tumult 

of kiln and corn


this is what 

the artifact knows


that it's not enough

to quietly negotiate


a patch of dirt

in a calm before the storm


but to navigate the calmness

while the storms hurl 

their tempers off the cliff


the lost antlers are agitated

reminiscing their rutting days

as bone-mounted swords

the way rusty ploughshares

weep their rust in soft rains 

remembering old glories 

of battled blood


lost antlers would be better

served by observing the 


silent polygon of discarded clay

who has let it all go 


and sets an example 

of the patient art of discovery


_______________________

Weekly Scribblings #35: The Joy of Rest


7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, now you've got me pondering. The eternal rest is something I am not yet reconciled to (for myself anyway) no matter how peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't want to be a silent polygon of discarded clay, and I never claimed to set an example. I do remember some old glories, however! Great write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem and the shard of pottery really speak to me! I love museums and artefacts, the stories behind them, and a programme on BBC Radio 4 called ‘The History of the World in 100 Objects’. I love the way you present the pot as resting after many years of use and setting an example of the patient art of discovery, the phrase ‘tumult of kiln and corn’, and the contrast with the lost antlers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to love in your poem. The lessons and history held in a shard of pottery are profound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you brought the shard of pottery to life ~~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you've used pottery to both examine and convey this profound rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "shard of pottery" works so well for this poem. It requires a second reading at least.

    ReplyDelete