Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Amplified

(ending with a line by Janis Joplin)



You know me, I’ve never been one 
to just stand, I am your

co-conspirator, your willing slave 
greedy for your voice, I’ve been 
in the thick of it, shaken

rattled, rolled, your cigarettes 
snuffed on my face, I’ve been stuffed 

down your pants, swung in frantic circles 
over screaming crowds, soaked in sweat and beer 
dangled from the stage while you stomped 
triumphantly out of the light, my abandoned cord 
splayed out on the stage like an 
exhausted EKG, a topographic 
map for your wild night  

faithfully, again, I am 
    here before you, ready 
        to be used, spit on
    
show me your teeth and slap me
against your thigh, tell me 

I’m ugly, I’m ready to swallow 
    screams for dinner 

I’m thirstier than your punctured vein, fill me up 
    come on, come on, 
        come on and take me 

pull me up to your mouth and break 
another piece of my heart now, baby


_______________________________
Weekly Scribblings #33: “swallow screams for dinner”

10 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Mike! Brilliant piece. (And anything Janis does it for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joplin's line is the perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous! *screaming & cheering* :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad state of affairs, Janis fits so well. Poor Baby.
    (Janis is still my favorite singer, may she RIP.)
    And you told it sooo well!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the agony of addiction...Janis certainly knew how to reach down and rip a hole in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A stunning poem, so raw and completely rock and roll! I can think of a number of vocalists whose voices I've been hungry for and wouldn’t have minded being a a topographic map for their wild nights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW every performer needs a super cheering fan

    Happy Friday

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...love this perspective - the mic is a crutch for some performers. For some, it is a friend - hers was part of the whole show, it seems.

    ReplyDelete