Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Foundation

I dress myself as a deck of cards

and sit in your pocket, patiently


and taking stock, until you to need

to remember an action, even a small


gesture that resonates in that moment

where a decision crouches in a synapse


pick a card, any card, maybe I did right 

maybe I did it wrong, what else


can a father do but slam the door

on his house of cards, and instead


walk with you along the rocks 

on which to build your temple, to let you 


wander the cascading earth and choose 

the most beautiful hill on which to die


______________________________

5 comments:

  1. WOW. Those last two lines are stunners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'where a decision crouches in a synapse' ~ a most ominous collection of words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much can be read into these intriguing words. I am sure each reader will interpret the poem differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing metaphor for parenting! A unique yet telling way to describe it. I love the progression from adviser to companion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting and well-written extended metaphor. I especially like the opening lines and:
    ‘pick a card, any card, maybe I did right
    maybe I did it wrong, what else
    can a father do…’

    ReplyDelete