Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Rolling in the R of Morning

slippers like rabbits 

rubbing their daybreak eyes 


a quick swipe of toothpaste 

across my teeth, coffee darker 

than the curling maw of mother universe 


guess who’s spinning La Vida 

Es Un Carnaval to stir 

the house, that’s me 


walking backwards 

through the kitchen, kicking 

out my hips, the early working 

before work, all the meds 

down in a one-gulp conga line 


if you’re at the fence line and squint,

you’ll see me catwalking to the chicken coop


if I stop, it’s because I’m thinking

of painting the gas tank trumpet gold


greedy for the moment, Midas-handed me 

grabs the first cool eggs, open-robed 

and unashamed, I turn to the moon, God help me 


the moon, reader forgive me

the moon, there’s nothing left 

to write about it, it’s just that 

old Celia Cruz moon 

going cha-cha-cha 

behind a shimmying curtain



_______________________________________
Weekly Scribblings #31: What Makes You Smile?

6 comments:

  1. Lovely morning wake up strut
    Happy Wednesday

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how full of delight! And it really made me smile. Love the images; and the way the words move, underscoring their sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun way to start the day, so energetic too, but who wouldn’t be drinking ‘coffee darker than the curling maw of mother universe’! I have a lovely image in my head of you walking backwards and kicking out your hips – sounds like a good workout – and the ‘old Celia Cruz moon going cha-cha-cha behind a shimmying curtain’.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fun one! Slippers as rabbits is an attention-getting and surprisingly apt comparison.

    ReplyDelete