Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Tasmanian Devil Ascending and Still

 

be still myself

as the body

flails, jerks

and disjoints

tendon limb and muscle

in moving division 

of self and intent

be still myself

and guard the heart


contemplate the tropical 

sapwood, the form 

of carbon, the deep breath 


be still myself, swirling muds

the landscape, the colors

of everyone 

disintegrate into black

the fine dark lines

get wrecked, at this speed

friends and adversaries

merge into an artless blur


be still myself, reach 

into the healing well of the hurricane

eyewall inside, settle into 

the seven points posture

of Variocana bathed 

in Bougainvillea Glabra 

ascend myself

above the cloud of debris, god once used

a pillar of cloud to lead 

the people without cessation 


allow myself

to be the constellation of hands and dusty feet

extended above the animated havoc

of howling fang and raised fur


be still and ascended myself

not sowing fear, but cleansing

the land of fear, teaching others


to ride the open eye, showing them 

the path, how to taste thistles 

along the exodus and why


_____________________________

Weekly Scribblings #44: Eye of the Hurricane

9 comments:

  1. This is a lovely meditation ... calming, reaching into oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing poem – as always. To read it is to feel like being in the midst of those powerful forces.

    Yet – why Tasmanian Devil? Particularly coupled with mention of tropics and bougainevillea, when Tassie is at the cooler end of temperate. (I grew up there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I was contemplating the inner struggle to mediate and channel the tornadic energy of the cartoon character. A copycat approach of John Ashberry's Farm Implements and Rutabagas in a Landscape poem.

      Delete
    2. Ah, we in Australia are unacquainted with the cartoon character. Though I have heard tell of it before, when an American friend, on learning I had grown up in Tasmania, was astonished to discover it was a real place and the Tassie Devil an actual animal.

      Delete
    3. Substituting "social studies" for geography left many U.S. public school graduates unaware that Delaware is a State, so no wonder...There's a compare-&-contrast post on Wikipedia about Tasmanian Devils and Virginia Opossums.

      Delete
  3. wow beautifully worded and love the style. My favourite "allow myself to be the constellation of hands and dusty feet..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you infused your poem with the essence of the Tasmanian Devil, in the shape and the jerky rhythm! The repetition of ‘be still myself’ is a mantra throughout the poem. My favourite lines:
    ‘allow myself
    to be the constellation of hands and dusty feet
    extended above the animated havoc
    of howling fang and raised fur’.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful calming write and the last two lines are exquisite!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting image/insights/meditation.

    ReplyDelete