Sunday, November 29, 2020

Non-Intervention


inside the rib-white carcass

the wasps made their paper nest

you hit it, full swing


with your angry bamboo 

walking stick, we had 

no business


raising a goat this far out 

in the wilderness, I am sure 


it was a lion

who dragged 

her here


I confess

I didn’t know 


a goat could scream

so human-like, articulate even

but it makes sense when you 

see a half-man half-goat 


carved in ancient bowls 

their voices empty, wistful

hooves planted and silent  


I am sorry 

I heard it all go down

and did nothing, actually


that’s not entirely true

while you slept 

through the tumult

I turned 


the radio louder

to drown out the myth

of man and land 


and fed

your dreams some 

useless chatter


4 comments:

  1. Sad how most of us tune out the tragedies in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an evocative write. I liked the line of useless chatter. We so often use it to avoid in-depth conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say in the face of that? The shocking, both shrunk from and squarely confronted, conveyed in a way that makes me have to confront it too and realise I have within me that same complex humanity which would have all these reactions.

    ReplyDelete