Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Marvelous


on hikes, I look down

pathologically eyeing 

whatever the dirt offers


elk tracks, deer scat 

bountiful in backwood

dinner country 

large, whole 


raven wings

disengaged

 

a cupped-hand basket 

of buckhorn cholla spines

 

the purple lips of the pouting

crescent milkvetch, a pile 

of orange bones, a rock

rolled to reveal a Prince 

Albert tobacco tin—an impish

prank of preservation


further down the floodplain

there is a Whirlpool microwave

dangling from a cottonwood


I won’t see it, I look down

I have only heard of such marvels


______________________

dVerse: Poetry as witness


4 comments:

  1. what a great piece - this listing of detritus - telling us so much about the landscape - from flowers to bones to a tobacco tin - building a picture of a wild dangerous place - that's both natural and human - but definitely occupied. I laughed at the microwave in the tree - and the humility - or is it focus - of the poet/hiker. wry and witty stuff. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature’s news is the best news, but I’m not sure about the marks that humans have left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ought to be ashamed of ourselves, leaving so much junk behind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me again why we want to save the human species?

    ReplyDelete