Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Terrestrial

on the radio I heard a man, just a man 
declare that life right here began

with an intergalactic rock that slammed
into Earth, a soaring rock 

on which some amoeba, a stamp

of lichen, a stray cat hitched it 


until that boop of life met a drop 

of ocean and coughed 


so here we are, milking it

laboring it to the molten core  


biting down and tickling Sisyphus 

until under his rubble 


we decompose, waiting 

for our cosmic dust 


to surf a germ onto another stone

for an encore performance




dVerse: Lyric Petrologies


10 comments:

  1. I like the idea of tickling Sisyphus! πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a 'boop of life' meeting a drop of ocean and coughing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and so it began when that rock slammed the earth....I too like the "until that boop of life met a drop of ocean and coughed" An interesting and unique descriptive line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea of surf-hopping through space seeding life on rocks, Gila, and the way you describe it here ("that boop of life met a drop/of ocean and coughed" seemed to me like a baby's first cough or cry of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the thought of how life may have begun as those small cells coming from space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very creative take on the big bang theory! At least for the Earth!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life on earth (abridged). Very nice poem ! Much love πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was drawn in by the repetition at the beginning, "just a man" "a soaring rock". I like how these descriptors ad voice and tone. Fun read.

    ReplyDelete