Friday, August 28, 2026

One More Instruction Before Visiting Earth

after James McRae 


create some form 
of expression to excite 
our sixth sense, amuse us
in a fourth dimension

we humans get nostalgic
for something new
to be nostalgic about, ditto 
with romanticism and 
melancholy, whatever

tricked out rhyme hums in your nitrogen
lay it on our carbon base, fair warning

we have a history
of crucifying guests, yet 
we starve for novel figures 
to glow in our synapses 

tell you what, just elevate 
and lead us to our mirrors

we’ll see ourselves in you, 
as we always do, I only ask that
you be a just and loving god



2 comments:

  1. Well done, I like the added instructions! You definitely tapped into the same vibe as McCrae's poem here, very nice! 💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well done, I agree. This is a fabulous response, echoing the original author's message. This is my favorite part:

    we have a history
    of crucifying guests, yet
    we starve for novel figures
    to glow in our synapses

    ReplyDelete