Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Test Prep in Triptych

 i. 

slow there, and here expand 

common strands 


run steep and wide, the strange

vocabulary very academic

like the smell of an ink pen


your finger, use it to trace 

the craftsmanship of a cube


then cup the sphere 

where you stand


strain and maintain, turn

to your neighbor and explain


the endless 


compulsion to explain


ii.


fractions are soft, a loss

without total loss


the algebraic expression

is an opportunity to set right


the brokenness in the world, to reveal 

and make known the exact question 


know this and then gaze 

into the brain of incarnation

a notion now in breathing meat


iii. 


think of what you

expected to learn


this is the how

I leave you 


to solve for why




Poetics Tuesday: To ma'am/sir

5 comments:

  1. I haven’t read a triptych for ages, and really enjoyed this one, the fragments pulled together by ‘common strands’. I love the appeal to the senses in the ‘strange vocabulary very academic like the smell of an ink pen’; the finger used ‘trace the craftsmanship of a cube’; and the soft fractions’. My favourite lines – even though I never took to mathematics – are:
    ‘the algebraic expression
    is an opportunity to set right
    the brokenness in the world’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing write! It made me think...like all good writing does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt art and maths coming together here. Nice one g_m 👏

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful read! I love the fancy and the shine of this, Gila.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the second part of the tryptych taught me most about the purpose.

    ReplyDelete