Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Rooster Gone Preening

I was a poet as rooster in a Nissan Sentra  
hair all Billy Idolized and i-don’t-care, preening
 
in rearview mirror, wet-footed rooster 
posing as poet with a little Frank O’Hara 

under my belt, gone lovestruck strutting 
with hand-sharpened Ticonderoga #2

I would set her by a creek, on a landlocked gondola 
set lunch before her in a thatched oat 
straw cottage with black tea
 
Djarum clove smoke dripping from our lips 
lazy eyed, we would cloudburst
and swig an aperitif of misbehaving 

I rolled around with that slack-jawed 
Guenevere long enough 

poet enough to know that a rooster will 
gaze at his betrothed until the sugar burns off


_____________________________

Weekly Scribblings #27: Things Were Different Back Then

7 comments:

  1. I really like the "cloudburst" as a verb. The word speaks of so much movement, so the use feels... natural. Interesting--and illuminating--comparison, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to be able to look back on one's young self with affectionate amusement. (Ahhh, those clove cigarettes! You triggered my nostalgia.) I love the tone, the story, the wordsmithing ... all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a young life, Gila. Those old days were fine, but for NOW I like it like we have it. I learned of the Djarum clove here tonight, just as I learned of the Blunts a few years back from blogging. I've now smoked either although if I had grown on our farm I would have, I smoked every kind of weed there. Hemp grew wild, but my mom said only people in NYC smoked that and they had he good stuff there. Nice poem, lovely setting.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sent me researching for Frank O'Hara, Ticonderoga #2 and Darum clove! It was a learning experience, after which I enjoyed your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderfully written. I love the nostalgia in this and the image of clove cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gazing, not writing. Strutting, not writing. Where's that Ticonderoga #2 now?

    ReplyDelete