Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Primordial

we were soaking in the firmament

reminiscing about our favorite eon

granted I had too much to drink

and it didn’t mix with the mussels


I decayed before you, you shrugged 

I took a vomit in the pond, chum

for the turtles


the blue light of your eyes 

lit the grass, you ran your hands

through the blades, running 

your fingers through earth’s soft hair


your eyes shed only pity

my protests lacked vocal precision 

I just wailed and watched you float away


my toenails grew like devastation 

the air slept sour on my tongue 


for billions of years, I just sat 

night after ill night, sentimental


clouds worked the light, minnows 

darted silver singing witness, witness 

but you left me 


foaming at the mouth,

living the dream, stirring 

the emergence, you missed it 

the beginning of everything 

my breathless declaration 

drowned out by slushing of 

a fish with an opposable thumb 

dragging itself over the stones


_______________________

Weekly Scribblings #28: Seeing Things




5 comments:

  1. Love it! How wildly and wonderfully imagined, and what fabulous phraseology. I particularly enjoyed

    my toenails grew like devastation
    the air slept sour on my tongue

    and

    ... slushing of
    a fish with an opposable thumb
    dragging itself over the stones

    ReplyDelete
  2. That paired sense of dissolution and wonder--amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I especially love the blades of grass as "earth's soft hair."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful imagery in this one!💝

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing images in this. I love "earth's soft hair", and "fish with opposable thumbs."

    ReplyDelete