Thursday, July 9, 2020

Breaking Roots


the sewer clean-out 

backed up, the unholy flood


of waste, hair, soap, 

shit-logged sails, and snot gurgles


like a Hieronymous Bosch nightmare baptism 

it flushes ants down the ravine, I should dig


for the break, to see what knotted fist 

of juniper roots chokes the line 

but my only shovel 

is rusted and supple, 

my grandpa’s shovel 


on mornings like this, he would microwave 

already scalding coffee, slip into his overalls 

like he was reclaiming his one true skin 

wrench his hands 

into diesel scented gloves


with a whistle, he would declare the work 

to be done and start digging, today 


I’m just standing here, 

barely breaking ground 


I watch ants wonder what ant god 

abandoned them, my son still

asleep on the couch, the weed 

resin nestled in his cold pipe   


the morning’s coolness succumbs 

to the encroaching heat, I close my eyes  


visualizing the path

 

from the garage to the well house

and the shelf that held

an old Foldger’s coffee tin 

half empty of crystalline

root killer


_____________

Wednesday Poetry Prompts 530: "where you are"

1 comment:

  1. You make even such a task enthralling to read about! I love the sense of generations carrying on their lives in that same space.

    ReplyDelete