Sunday, June 21, 2020

Faust Born Again



Mephistopheles
Now you speak more sensibly again, my friend!
You may yet naturally regain your youth, 
but that is written in a different book
and constitutes a special chapter. 
  • Goethe

Oh devil, 
look, look

Now I have stepped away
from your crumbling book
    too old for this, and by some measure
        too young for this

So, pass it on
let your demons know 
my skeletal message flows graphic

rebellion on my mind, a secret source
trusted and tympanic

your power deflated, too dramatic, Germanic
your offer leaves me anaphylactic

here is my exit, my mouthful of noise
    singing in one cerebral cortex
        deflecting your contract

your myths are buried beneath the museums
and no one will believe them, I am staged
for a glorious debut, waiting on the rain
of ravishing reviews, you

were clever once, but
    it’s a racket, this pamphlet, I still
        had to pay taxes, these pages

hot-leaded, soiled with flashbacks
of loved ones I outlived, villain, 

my touch screen gone stone, atomic, and raged
Enter (blasted devil) the digital age
I deleted the last page, no
signature, you have lost my name
in the warring signals of skin and silicon

devil, move on 

my rythym rides the red line at a speed I choose
where there is no catch

Old Meph, get thee behind me, 
my mother is aching, her section is cesarian,
not born of woman, I am erupting
from her body multi-nonagenarian

go on, go on, the deal is long gone
and in despair you will watch me respawn
in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1….

No comments:

Post a Comment