Tuesday, October 6, 2026

To Azul

even without squinting I see
faces in your tree, thousands green

snarling, smiling, human and non

and one leaf saying why must I be


yellow or green, dress me up

in cell phone blue, let me giggle


on a popcorn beach or befriend 

geodes bathing in soapy lava


or let me nap on the tail of Godzilla

Azul, be careful who you listen to


some will say leaves are always green

and Godzilla doesn’t exist in poetry


but, here we are, a continent away

screwing up our eyes to see 

the monster in your tree 


and the world 

trembling at his feet
























artwork by Azul

3 comments:

  1. Wow! A rather sinister take on the tree...but I sory of see a "monster" or something else indescribably in the black under the green. You sure made the tree come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes there be a monster, squint and see

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful - you’ve done a fantastic job of validating the strange, vivid worlds we see when we ‘screw up our eyes’ looking past the mundane. It’s playful, defiant, and deeply visual🙌

    ReplyDelete