Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Assumption



Early in the morning on the Museum of Shadows Day I twirled my your-bone rosary, your bones rattling in my brittle fingers, brittle as if a clear vision could bruise my skin, I sat in watercolor, I poured like a confession, my body smoked and swung like a censer between our empty rooms the smoke writhing, your bones joyous to feel movement, it has been a year since you felt the warmth of an organ in anguish, I twirled with you reanimated my snaky veins moving over your beads, I prayed to join you, my prayer free, flowering like a fracture
_______________________________

8 comments:

  1. Two things I found just wonderful, "Museum of Shadows Day," and the description of the rosary as "your-bone rosary." I am not sure if this refers to the actual museum by that name, or an installation such as I've seen online, or something else, but it invokes a certain creep factor to the "your-bone" line. I also enjoyed the rosary bones are not the ones that are brittle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second and last stanzas linger... I can practically hear those bones, see those flowers bursting. I suspect the "flowering / like a fracture" will stay in my skull for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This...gives me both shivers and tears. A celebration on a knife's edge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How well you inhabited this poor, tormented fellow, and conveyed his story by inference. Among many wonderful phrases/images, I too particularly love 'flowering / like a fracture' and 'the Museum of Shadows Day'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the use of sound in ‘your bones / rattling in my brittle fingers, brittle’ and the imagery in this poem, especially ‘my body smoked / and swung like a censer / between our empty rooms’ and ‘snaky veins moving / over your beads’.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'I prayed to join you' .. the perfect end to an amazing poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. like a confession, my body smoked
    and swung like a censer

    Too often we only pray when we need forgiveness ...

    ReplyDelete